About Paws Animal Sanctuary (Findon)

We have been rescuing animals for 30 years. Paws attained charitable status in 2002.  Our aim is to rescue and rehome as many animals in need as we possibly can, and our volunteers - work tirelessly to this end, last year's figure of 850 animals rehomed should give you an idea of just how dedicated everyone is here at Paws.
Princess, Rivoli and Jasper 
Toyhorse Princess Snowdrop at the rear, Rivoli in the centre and Jasper the Donkey in front.
Our work includes :
  • answering a huge volume of phone calls
  • feeding, cage-cleaning, grooming and bathing animals
  • dog and horse walking
  • administering medications prescribed by the vets
  • teeth and nail trimming
  • worming
  • bagging horse manure
  • gardening
  • rubbish-clearing
  • vet visits
  • home checks
  • micro-chipping
  • delivering pets to new homes
  • endless social service rescues
  • collecting strays
  • buying supplies of pet food, vegetables, hay and straw
Just to name but a few, the rest we do in our spare time!
Pixie's Operation
 Pixie Bandaged
One afternoon in September I found Pixie a recently rescued miniature horse lying on the ground obviously in distress, the vet came at 4pm and said he had a massive blockage and needed an immediate operation. He also said "I have to warn you that the operation costs £5,000" I knew that we only had £4.000 in the bank to cover the cost of running the sanctuary, but had to try and save Pixie. I put him in the trailer and rushed him to The Equine Hospital in Arundel. By 7pm he was being operated on. I visited him every day, he was very ill afterwards and the vet warned me "If he didn't improve in the next 24hrs they would have to put him down".

I went over to say goodbye, he was just lying there with a drip in his neck. The vet said he would try one more drug and gave Pixie an injection and told the Nurse he would come back later. I kneeled with Pixie and massaged him all over with bottles of rescue remedy willing him to get better, (the Nurse said it couldn’t do any harm at this stage), he lifted his head and looked at me and suddenly got up and started pushing me.

The Nurse rushed over to the phone and told the vet he had recovered. I was allowed to bring Pixie home the next day. The after-care means we have to be very careful with his diet, all the food and hay has to be soaked and he needs two walks a day.

The vets were very good to us and gave us a discount, so we were able to pay the bill, with over a hundred animals to care for we need to get back on our feet again and get some money in the bank.

We launched an Appeal in the papers and on the radio, Sheila and I received lots of letters and phone calls from well wishers, many sending cheques to help.

We also had many requests from animal lovers wanting to help support our sanctuary regularly by direct debits through their banks.  Thank you so much to those who have already set this up.

Pixie has since recovered.

 Written by Stacey.


  Pixie in recovery